I slept much better last night but still was woken several times due to the heat and creepy crawlies.

I woke at 10am to new faces. It was only the second time women were here and the voices filled the house with much laughter. After the morning tea ritual Hamdi tells me that after lunch we will go to Rabuni to meet the director of the radio station and TV station for the Saharawi people. This is where I hope to find the people who will be trained in the new studio.

Rabuni is where the S.A.D.R government have their official buildings and where the aid caravans come to deliver their aid and they have the most creative fuel stations I’ve ever seen.


On arrival to the TV station building we are told that we can be seen for only five minutes as there is a conference on and they will have to get back to it. We discussed the possibilities of working with them in the new studio we are proposing to bring, but the response I got wasn’t what I was expecting at all. They basically said that they’d welcomed the studio and would be very happy to put their workers through our course. However, they wouldn’t be able to then use the trained staff to further work in the studio to teach others the same course’s; which I wasn’t expecting or willing to accept. I was asked if I would like to return in a day or so to have a full tour of their facilities, which I accepted and we left.
After leaving I had a talk with Hamdi and, thinking about it, I suppose that the trained staff will be too busy putting their new skills to use in the TV and Radio stations to then go and teach at the studio. We will have to look at some other options re training staff for a permanent position in the studio.
We re-visited the ‘Olive Branch Theatre Group’ again today to see that their show coming on well. After they had finished for the day we all went back to the home where they are staying, and to hang out and meet the people they are staying with. We were treated to a traditional dance show by the children whilst Hamdi and Mahmoud played the guitar.After dinner I’m told that our house will be taken over tomorrow by a family who are celebrating the birth of a new baby. It will be the baby’s naming ceremony, which takes place 7 days after the birth, and to celebrate a goat is being slaughtered at 4 am. I request to be be present at the slaughter as I have never seen a slaughter in an Islamic country and, having heard many discussions on the subject, most recently on BBC radio London, I wanted to see for myself what was involved. I was told that I could come so I went to sleep earlier to ensure I would wake in time. It’s a lot cooler tonight so I am hopeful of a good night’s sleep. However, just before I sleep the electricity goes off so not sure I’ll get that good sleep. Hmmm.